Thursday, October 2, 2014

THE HOUSE…..

Finished…

Well it is finally done….here are the pic’s I took just before leaving…the front porch below was done about 10 years ago…really liked it …especially after the trees I planted grew up to shade it…The fixing up ready for sale started in earnest about 4-5 years ago…but I have been working on down sizing for 6 years…starting with the merchandize from my vintage/antique store…then the house items…took a long time selling it at flea markets and doing yard sales…and after doing research and talking with others in the area …I got more out of my stuff than if I had an auction ..but it was a lot of hard work!100_7873

The garage was fixed up by my son a couple years ago…he put new doors on it did some work inside and new roofing paper…I used it as a work shop..it has a floor in it and if used as a garage again floor would have to be removed…he also painted the house again (I helped) ..it was done about 10 years ago and just needed a refresh…

100_7845

The woodwork in the down stairs is all beautiful 6 in. hard wood oak…the house is 124 years old ..built in 1890…It is one of the oldest houses on this side of town…I imagine the oak was taken from the property…below is the front hall and front door..they made to door also because it matches the woodwork…

100_7865

The pic’s are in no order.. in the dinning room below is a built in china closet made from the same oak as the woodwork…my pic’s do not show how beautiful the oak is…

100_7851

Below is looking into the living room from the dinning room ..cant see the woodwork as it is covered by the drapes but is the same…you can see the oak arch way between them…

100_7849

Pic below is the open cheery/oak stair way…you can see the cherry banister, and the cross part below it with quarter sawn oak panels…along with the china closet nicest feature in the house…but really all the woodwork is…When I first bought the house all the woodwork had the black varnish on it..that was used back in the time period…A friend and I stripped it and refinished it natural…now 30 years later it has a beautiful patina to it…

100_7852

And the kitchen…friend and I knocked out a wall to the back porch and extended the kitchen about same time we did woodwork..the woodwork in kitchen was pine and had been painted…I painted it white this summer to freshen it up…I did a post about it a few weeks ago…we also put on a new counter top and new sink when wall was done…son put down new laminate floor last summer…

100_7870

Up the stairs…about 25 years ago I put in new wall to wall carpet down stairs and up the stairs and upper hall…it shows ware but is very livable..

100_7853

The upper hall the wood work is pine but I went a head and refinished it natural..

100_7854

The bedroom below is the one I used…papered the walls years ago but in good shape so just left it…peach color with shears to match..the bed does not stay..it is a hard wood maple that I refinished again about 25 years ago…I love that bed and want to keep it…

100_7855

The blue bedroom could be the master because it is larger and has that big closet…I painted the woodwork in all the bedrooms white years ago and did it again last summer…

100_7858

This is the smallest bedroom…my son used this room..single bed and a nice size dresser..but we put a smaller dresser in on half of the closet and a desk in the bedroom …

100_7859

Bathroom…a little on the small side …but not bad…son did work in here year before last…took everything out and fixed some pipes in the floor…I went ahead then and put in the smaller vanity..

100_7861

Below is the upper hall …the wall on the left going down the stairs is where the old plaster pulled away from the lath…(happens in old houses) …finished up that this summer…

100_7862

And there you have it…what I have been working on and blogging about…(gee won’t you miss those blogs) lol I will not!!! I am praying for a quick sale…I still don’t believe that it is done…hard for me to wrap my brain around it…it was always on my mind even when I was in Florida…there because I needed to get it done…I feel a little sad about leaving it was my home for over 35 years… anyway now moving on…I will post all about my adventures ..my trip back to Florida…it sure got better after I got to Winchester and now traveling a bit with Liz…my Women RV friend….I will now start posting about that…we left the Blue Ridge Parkway…so will pick up there next time..thanks for looking and come back soon …blessings to all…G&M

PS…I did a lot of work in the basement but forgot to take pic’s

2 comments:

  1. That woodwork is just gorgeous. It reminds me of the oak, my favorite wood, in our farmhouse from vintage 1880 or so. clearly you have put a lot of love and work into this house. It shows. Glad to hear things have gone better on your trip.

    ReplyDelete