Wednesday, November 12, 2014

COLLETON STATE PARK…

Another stop on the way…

back to Florida after leaving Liz & Thistle…we headed on to Colleton St Park SC  to visit with Miss Mermaid  (aka Cynthia) & Harley ….this is another first for me…new to me state park…

100_8137

Colleton St. Park campground is on the Edisto river in Walterboro SC…..The Edisto river is a canoe and kayak trail…it is one of the longest free flowing blackwater rivers in the country…

100_8114

one area in the campground where you can launch your kayak or canoe…the river here looks like it is not moving much…but I can see movement when I am standing there…but it looks to be a slow float down the river at this point…

100_8097

Here is a map posted at the campground for the river trail.…I think this would be a great river to kayak on…the campground is a nice one…and might be some place to have a GTG…the paddle on the river would be more than just one day excursion …just a thought…

100_8100

Maggie and I hiked a couple of the trials…This part of one trail was a swamp so there were several wood board walks…

100_8118

Another trail we were looking for a geocaches on this one…and we found it….we did not see any wild life …and I am glad (I think)..because I was talking to the ranger about another cache and and he told me to be carful because snakes were on the move…(mating season ?)..he had just that morning moved a copperhead from the road way by the station….!!! He said I don’t mean to scare you…well I said you just did!! So that was the end of the hiking..and geocaching ,,,

100_8129

Anyway we did find one and here it is…it was in one of those Keebler trees Winking smile …I did figure out where the other one was…but was to afraid to go after it…

100_8145

They also have a very nice recreation building..it is a first come first serve …but you can reserve it also…thinking about the one at Hillsbourgh that we made good use of that rainy week we had the last GTG there…

100_8113

A pic of Maggie once when we walked the loop…our site is the one on the right…you can see the rig…

100_8119

Below is a pic of MM site…she stops here on here way to camping on the  beach …coming from her work camping job for the summer…

100_8120

One of the snarly roots along the river bank…I like to see if I  can pick any animals or things out of these and…I think I see a frog sitting there…you see it? It’s like seeing  things in the clouds…

100_8106

And there are tons of cypress trees and knees…love looking at these also…they must harvest the knees somewhere because they sell them… I have seen them at flea markets for sale ..my DD paints old time father Christmas on them when she can find them to buy..

100_8150

Below a Keebler tree…where elves and fairies live…remember ? Not where the geocache was found..

100_8144

And the rest of the story…

This park was built by the Works Progress Administrations (WPA) ..a program similar to the CCC…The WPA did a great deal of work in the National Parks through out the US…but I could not use my newly purchased old people pass…if I remember right it was because this park is now a state park ?..any way I think it is a nice camp ground and would make a potential GTG destination …Not sure when this will get posted…I took my lap top with me when I went to some yard sales this morning (10/8/14) and post about Booker T Washington National Monument …(a trip Liz and I took…and that has been awhile ago..) I stopped at Panera Bread got a bagel and did some work using their internet and posted on both my blogs…have not been able to do any camping or traveling…due to many reasons…so working on getting  organized with all my personal belongs ..which is not a lot …but a lot when there is no place to put any of it…very frustrating…so decided to sort thru it all..including all my craft/art stuff and store what I am not going to use for awhile in totes and stack them in the Florida room…and try and work around them…Yesterday 10/10/14 and all this week I will be at the church working on setting up the bazar…this group of ladies make nice high quality items…after this is all done…hope to get out and about with the RV ..even if just to take day trips…MM should be landing at Wickham CG ..so might be able to spend time over there…anyway again not sure when this will get posted..so maybe I will be adding to it again! Well it is now Wed 11/12/14 and I am at Panera Bread again so will post this now…thanks for looking and come back soon ..blessings to all G&M

1 comment:

  1. In that picture of the roots, I see a lizard going up the left side of it. . . and I can see things in clouds, too. Good post, enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete